Health Insurance Checklist
Following are some key questions to ask your insurance provider before you purchase your health insurance.
- What does the plan cover? What does it provide that my provincial health-care plan doesn't?
- What does it not cover?
- Can I choose from among a variety of different coverages?
- What limitations or conditions apply?
- Does it cover drugs for a pre-existing condition?
- Do I need a medical examination?
- Is there a deductible? If so, how much?
- How much will my premiums go up for the same coverage as I get older?
When you have a claim . . .
- How do I make a claim?
- Can my health care provider bill the insurance company directly?
- If not, how long does it take for me to be reimbursed?
Please note, these questions are intended as a helpful guideline only, and are not meant to be exhaustive.
(Excerpted from The Insurance Book: What Canadians Really Need To Know Before Buying Insurance, by Sally Praskey and Helena Moncrieff)
See our buying checklist for some key questions to ask your insurance provider before you purchase health insurance.
News and Articles